Posts for tag: hearing loss
Since it usually progresses slowly over time, hearing loss can sneak up on you. However, learning the signs and symptoms of this condition and recognizing them early can help you get the help you need before it begins negatively affecting your life. Hearing aids are the most common treatment for hearing loss and come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and styles. Find out more about treatments for hearing loss and your hearing aid options with Augusta Ear, Nose, and Throat with locations in Augusta and Evans, GA, and Aiken, SC.
The Sneaky Symptoms of Hearing Loss
Sometimes, hearing loss can sneak up on you, progressing so slowly you do not realize the extent of the damage until your condition has advanced into its later stages. Some of the subtle symptoms of hearing loss can include:
- having trouble following a telephone conversation
- feeling as though those around you mumble often
- you find yourself asking others to repeat themselves frequently
- the people around you complain that the TV or radio is too loud, but it is a normal volume for you
- having trouble following a face-to-face conversation, especially in crowded environments like a restaurant
Diagnosing Hearing Loss
Your ENT doctor diagnoses hearing loss using a hearing test. This test is a simple procedure where patients wear a set of headphones and identify sounds at different frequencies and volumes. During the test, you will indicate that you have heard a sound and in which ear the sound was played, usually by raising your hand on that side. Your doctor will assess your test results to determine if you suffer from hearing loss and how advanced any existing hearing loss is.
Hearing Loss Treatments with Augusta ENT in Augusta, GA, Evans, GA, and Aiken, SC
A hearing aid takes in outside sound through a microphone, amplifies the sound, then plays it into the ear at a higher volume. Hearing aids come in a variety of shapes and sizes ranging from styles which wrap around the back of the ear to styles which lie completely within the ear canal and out of sight. Your ENT specialist will help you find the best and most effective hearing aid for you.
For more information on your options for hearing aids, please contact Augusta Ear, Nose, and Throat with locations in Augusta and Evans, GA, and Aiken, SC. Call (706) 868-5676 to schedule your appointment at any of the four locations today!
How hearing aids from your ENT specialists in Aiken, Evans and Augusta can help you
If you are experiencing hearing loss, you may be thinking about hearing aids. When you think of a hearing aid, do you think of a huge, uncomfortable apparatus you have to wear? If so, think again! Modern hearing aids are state-of-the-art, discreet and comfortable. You won’t have to keep missing out on conversations around you. Your doctors at Augusta Ear, Nose & Throat in Aiken, Evans and Augusta, GA, want to help you hear again and get back to enjoying your life.
You may be unsure if you need a hearing aid. If so, the first thing to do is get a hearing screening. You may need a hearing aid if you experience:
- Difficulty picking out words from background noise
- Hearing only muffled sounds and speech
- Difficulty hearing consonants in speech
- Needing people to speak more clearly and loudly
At Augusta Ear, Nose & Throat you can choose from a wide range of hearing aids, like these:
- CIC hearing aids--which are completely in the canal; these aids fit entirely inside your ear canal. CIC aids are the least visible however they don’t have a volume control or directional microphone.
- ITE hearing aids--which are in the ear; these aids loop over your outer ear and are more visible than CIC aids. ITE aids have volume control and ease of handling.
- BTE hearing aids--which loop over the top of your ear and behind it; the aid connects to an earpiece inside your ear canal. BTE aids are the largest hearing aid, providing superb sound quality.
Cochlear implants are another choice, perfect for people with severe hearing problems. They function for parts of your ear that may not be working correctly.
Modern hearing aids can help you enjoy life, without sacrificing looks or comfort. You deserve to hear all of the wonderful sounds and conversations around you. Don’t miss out! Call your doctors at Augusta Ear, Nose & Throat with offices in Aiken, Evans and Augusta, GA. Call today!